[thelist] semantic markup

Edwin Martin edwin at bitstorm.org
Fri Jun 4 05:14:44 CDT 2004

Diane Soini wrote:

> It would be nice if we could use XUL, but we can't at the moment for
> general web content. I sure hope that a standard can come out of this
> need so that we don't have to stumble around like this for much longer.

Microsoft discovered this too. They're working on a
technology to solve this: Avalon, which includes XAML, which
is similar to XUL.

http://www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/microsoft.html

I'm very sure this will be part of IE7, to be released in 2006.

The question of couse is, will it be Microsoft-centric and
will the web become a Microsoft-web?

If enough webdesigners/webevelopers/managers like the new
features and don't care about 7% visitors with alternative
browsers, it's not unthinkable.

Realmedia (and Quicktime?) is already losing marketshare to
Windows Media.

Edwin Martin.