[thelist] Hosting reseller question

patrick pms at stoutstreet.com
Mon Jun 7 08:50:19 CDT 2004

PeterV wrote:

>I asked a hosting provider the following question:
>
>- On an advanced reseller plan, does "Unlimited Domain Pointers" mean I
>can create unlimited virtual domains?
>They answered:
>"Yes.  But they will be aliased to other accounts (aka, inhereit the
>settings of the account you add them to)."
>
>What does that mean? On most reseller plans, I can create unlimited
>name-based virtual domains. (Like you can do in Apache httpd.conf). What
>is this alias stuff?
>
>Thanks!
>Peter

Simply that -- they alias to the account, and count said alias towards
that account's disk space/bandwidth, etc. This may be their way of
maintaining some quality control over their client base. More likely,
however, it is the way their system is set up/the way they have chosen
to implement reselling.

--

patrick sanders
http://www.stoutstreet.com