[thelist] Site Review please - TruGreen.com

Rebecca O'Connell rloconne at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 7 10:43:52 CDT 2004

Tom, the site looks good, but if you size the text on the first page up
beyond a certain point, the top menu is pushed out into the white space,
where it disappears. See
http://www.mse.ncsu.edu/image/screenshots/trugreen.html for a screenshot.

One possible solution (although admittedly kludgy) would be to use a shim
div with a height in ems to force your green background to be a certain
height. You can use two divs if you need it to be have a minimum height in
pixels and in ems (say, if you have an image and some text in your div).

div.PARENTNAME-minheight-ems{
        float:right; clear:none; width:1px; height:EMSem;
    }
div.PARENTNAME-minheight-pxs{
        float:right;    width:1px; height:PXSpx;
    }

Another solution would be to just have

#nav li{background-color:#1E581D}

This would create a green background behind the text itself (see
http://www.mse.ncsu.edu/image/screenshots/tgmenu.htm). It wouldn't be as
pretty but it would ensure that the text is readable at all magnifications.

-Rebecca

On 6/4/04 2:42 PM, "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Today the new www.TruGreen.com was released using web standards.
> Since I wasn't able to post as I was building the site (I was not
> allowed to let info out of the office, you know how it is) I'd love a
> review of the site now that it is live, to see if there are any
> problems I have missed, and to see what you all think of the site. A
> couple things that have come up are minor validation issues (amps in
> URLs for one) which I am either not concerned about or are unfixable
> (some funky ecom code).
>
> I've written a somewhat detailed write up of the project on my blog:
>
> http://www.pixelmech.com/index.php?id=P75
>
> The site is designed for NS6+ and IE5+. I have not yet seen this on a
> mac (which is ridiculous - long story) so I'm guessing there may be
> problems there - hopefully not too major.
>
> The Site:
>
> http://www.trugreen.com/
> http://www.trugreen.com/tginc/main.css <-- CSS
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom
>
> =====
> http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
> http://www.crossandthrone.com/ - Eternal Life
>
> John 3:16

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.