[thelist] JS Intercace ?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 7 20:54:26 CDT 2004

On Sunday, June 6, 2004, at 04:04 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:

> Now this is a snippet of what im doing (thanks to Tim for the help : )
>
> e.g of linked file.
>
> var afghanw2f   = {
>    '11¢' : 'Afghanistansp',
>    '2¢' : 'Afghanistanw2f',
>    '4¢' : 'Afghanistanspp',
>    '3¢' : 'Afghanistan5',
>    '15¢' : 'Afghanistansp',
>    '23¢' : 'Afghanistanw2f',
>    '45¢' : 'Afghanistanspp',
>    '5¢' : 'Afghanistan5',
> }

Why bother including the ¢ in the array? Couldn't you add that in
your script as needed?

> The linked file has about 400 values for different products, which
> before, i would have been asked to go in manually update each rate (
> copy and paste job onced finished ) to achieve the above. It saves
> about 3 hours work.

Where do you get all the changes from? What if you were sick one day
and the information wasn't updated that day, and thus not accurate?
Seems there ought to be a more automated way, such as a service to
subscribe to.

> Now u'd think that updating would be a lot easier now eh?
> Well apparently not, now im asked to to make a system, where you would
> be able to do the following.
>
> ==============================
>
> 1. select from select box        |   afghanistan   |    |
>
> 2. input value to update        |    11&cents          |
>

> | submit |                    3.submit  changes to file, then save
> file to make update .
>
> =====================================
>
> Now my big question again. Can this be accomplished with just
> Javascript?

No. You need server-side capabilities. Once the page is downloaded to
someone's computer, javascript is acting on their computer, not on your
server.

You can write javascript code that can output a file, but it is for
Windows only and will not save files to the server. Take a look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
script56/html/sgfilesystemobjectmodel.asp for more information.

> And if so, is this considered to be a Application Interface, do i need
> to use something other then Javascript to make it,
> if so, can i retain the current javascript code to still do the behind
> the scenes for the updating?

There are many server-side scripting languages/technologies. Take your
pick. Perl, php, asp, jsp, coldfusion, etc. Make sure whatever you
choose is installed on your server.

> If you can give me an answer or advice please do.
>
> Kind regards Steven
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown