[thelist] Loosely coupled systems

Les Lytollis leslytollis at dimensions-corporatewear.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 07:51:46 CDT 2004

Hi all,

I am after some best practice advice. I hope it's not too off-topic.

I am building a web based ordering system that will integrate with an
existing order fulfillment system.
The integration is loosely coupled in that orders are held in a "Recent
Order" table and sent as flat files from the web app to a holding area
and picked up by the fulfillment system at regular intervals.

The order info will get back out to the web by regular extracts of the
fulfillment system's order tables and placed into "Order History" tables
in the web app.

My questions is about managing the relationship between the Recent Order
and Order History tables. So far, I have consdidered the following

1. Make sure a unique reference is sent to the fulfillment system and
match these in a scheduled task after the order history tables are
updated.

2. Remove the orders from Recent History at regular intevals provided
the status of the order is "sent for fulfillment".

3. Don't show orders "sent for fulfillment" until they show up in Order
History (eg "Thank you your order has sent for fulfillment. You can view
the status of your order in one working day from the Order History
section")

4. Don't manage them at all and let the user see overlapping records in
the Recent Orders and Order History  functions.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers
LezL

********************Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer ***********************
This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee(s).
If you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail.
Do not disclose, copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail.

(1) Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.
(2) The sender shall remain solely accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly his or her own and not made in the course of employment.