[thelist] Flash Question

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 09:37:04 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, June 9, 2004, at 04:20 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

>> Both are good reasons. However, the first is not quite correct. There
>> is
>> nothing stopping Flash from triggering your php link in order for you
>> record the click. It simply has to be placed into the Flash movie in
>> the
>> same way that it would be placed into an html page.
>>
>> getURL("/click.php?jump=http://www.foo.com");
>>
>> This would cause the link to go through your php script, just like any
> other
>> html link.
>>
>> chris

No, you can't do that. Flash will chop off whatever is after the ? mark.

What you want to do is ask your flash programmer to create the button
so that it calls getURL(passedinurl). Then in your html the path to the
flash movie is "myswf.swf?passedinurl=foo.php".

getURL takes three arguments: getURL(url [, window [, "GET" or
"POST"]]). You can pass those argument values into Flash like I've
shown above, as well as any other variables you may wish to pass along
by GET or POST. The Flash programmer has to know how to retrieve any
variables passed in by query string for use in his button script (such
as with loadVariables or similar).

This way he should be able to craft a button that will have the
flexibility you need.