[thelist] [mysql] select query

kris burford kris at midtempo.net
Thu Jun 10 06:33:11 CDT 2004

Hi

I'm smacking my head against the screen over the an sql statement for an
exchange system (for tickets) and could do with some guidance.

i'm matching a buyer and seller, and one of the checks is to see whether
either want only to "meet up" (i.e. *not* post their tickets/cheque). if
this is the case, then their location has to match. so my sql statement
includes

SELECT blah blah blah
WHERE (seller has the tickets that buyer wants) and CASE WHEN (s.exchange =
1 or b.exchange = 1) THEN (s.location = b.location) END
ORDER by s.seller_entry_date, b.buyer_entry_date
LIMIT 1

it's the CASE WHEN ... THEN ... END which is causing me grief. i'll get a
row returned if i remove the CASE clause but 0 rows with it.

is this possible in mysql? anyone got any ideas?