[thelist] Talking to exchange

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Jun 14 09:09:29 CDT 2004

OT:

You can either write something that can tap into one of Exchange's event
sinks (if you want to do something as the mail is coming in), or you can use
CDO (Collaborative Data Objects) if you want to communicate with Exchange
after the mail has arrived. You can use CDO to connect to a server, open a
mailbox, locate a folder, and get the individual items.

There are plenty of CDO resources out there if you Google, otherwise I'd
recommend getting a good book on the topic. Microsoft usually has some small
samples on the MSDN site, but likes to keep the third party book publishing
business going (well, either Microsoft writes the samples/tutorials and puts
the book publishing business out-of-buiness and everyone complains about
monopolistic practices, or you have to go and buy a third party book).

Cheers
Ken

From: "Tab Alleman" <Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com>
Subject: [thelist] Talking to exchange

I've been tasked with writing a program in VB6 that will parse emails
that we have received via an exchange server (2000) and saved to a
certain mailbox.  I have no idea how to communicate with Exchange.  I've
downloaded MS's exchange SDK with tools and examples, but the
documentation, in typical MS-fashion, is more of a reference for those
who already know what they're doing, and not a tutorial.  Can anybody
point me to a good starting point?