[thelist] Centering and floats (take 2)

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Tue Jun 15 02:30:01 CDT 2004

[Forgot about the attachment thing, here's another try]

I feel like this should be a trivial thing to do, so it makes me think I'm
missing something...

Take a look at http://ballsome.com/testcase.html. The nav bars on the top and
bottom are centered, with a right float for right-aligned stuff. I turned on
borders for clarity.

On Mozilla 1.0, at least, the "Manuals" link appears to be centered between the
left side of the page and the floating div, instead of between the two sides.
But aren't
floats supposed to remove the content from the flow of the page, and so
shouldn't
effect centering?

Here's an ASCII art of the way it shows up on my screen:

                                          |   (float)   |
          (should be centered             ---------------
              on the page)

Thanks in advance.