[thelist] Spolsky: things you can't do really well in a web application

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Wed Jun 16 12:18:00 CDT 2004

Quoting from Joel's (the other one, not me) latest article:
======================================
Here are a few examples of things you can't really do well in a web
application:

1. Create a fast drawing program
2. Build a real-time spell checker with wavy red underlines
3. Warn users that they are going to lose their work if they hit the
close box of the browser
4. Update a small part of the display based on a change that the user
makes
without a full roundtrip to the server
5. Create a fast keyboard-driven interface that doesn't require the
mouse
6. Let people continue working when they are not connected to the
Internet

So, I'm curious. Some of 'em seem, conceptually, simple. Spell checker?
Keyboard driven interface? I appreciate the qualifier 'well' in his
comment, but is this really accurate, right now today?

joel