[thelist] mySQL/PHP - INSERT not working

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 10:18:32 CDT 2004

--- Rob Smith <rob.smith at THERMON.com> wrote:
> Try this query instead:
> mysql_query("INSERT INTO scouting (playerID, report) VALUES ('" . $pid .
> "','" . $scout . "')");

Failed :/. Again, I get absolutely nothing - no error just my page back with no result. I moved
the DB stuff into the file and now I have this:

# DATABASE VARIABLES
# HOST NAME OR SERVER ADDRESS
  $hostname = "localhost";

# MySQL USERNAME
  $dbusername = "****";

# MySQL PASSWORD
  $dbpassword = "****";

# DATABASE NAME
  $dbname = "****";

$conn = mysql_connect($hostname, $dbusername, $dbpassword);
if (!$conn) {
   die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}

$scout = $_POST['scoutReport'];
$pid   = $_POST['pid'];
mysql_query("INSERT INTO scouting (playerID, report) VALUES ('" . $pid .
"','" . $scout . "')", $conn);

Seems like it should work especially since I get no error! Isn't there something where you add an
"@" to mysql_query that gave you some info? How can I get more information on what is happening
here?

Thanks

Tom