[thelist] Is Target dead

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 03:29:11 CDT 2004

On 18/6/04 7:59 am, "David Dorward" <evolt at david.us-lot.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 00:17, Chris Price wrote:
>> I recently attempted to validate an XHTML1.0 strict page with W3C and it
>> winced at Target so I got the page to open in a new window using JavaScript.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that target can only be used with a frameset dtd.
>
> No, Transitional.

I'm aware no one's stopping me using target.

One of the things I like about using XHTML1.0 strict is that it keeps me on
the ball. Validating your code can seem academic as people aren't really
bothered that your code validates but I believe the discipline leads to
better design.

> This is good. Usability studies almost inevitably come to the conclusion
> that new windows are harmful (and lead to panicked users wondering why
> their back button is greyed out).

The thing that bothers me is that 'designers' have been educating people to
expect their browser to, for example, open external links in a new window,
so that when a website behaves properly its not what they expect. I can
imagine someone saying 'don't bother with the back button, it doesn't work
on my browser.'

I have been looking at websites of businesses in my area and am appalled at
the some of the trash that businesses have spent good money on and are
perfectly happy with.

I'm glad to be on this list. It keeps me humble.

--
Chris Price

Choctaw Media Ltd

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk