[thelist] Is Target dead

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Fri Jun 18 06:30:19 CDT 2004

On 18 Jun 2004, at 12:21, RUST Randal wrote:
> David Dorward wrote:

> While I agree that opening new windows may decrease usability in
> content-driven Web sites, it is a nearly a necessity in a Web
> application. Clients always seem to want this functionality for wizards
> or to view summarized information of an account.

I am not a big fan of web based applications, but in those
circumstances the problem is easily worked around.

If a new window really really really is the best option - use
JavaScript. This will allow a window size to be specified, so it will
not "replace" the existing window.

Care has to be take of course, otherwise you will end up with HSBC and
its "If this non-resizeable window was more then 1/5 the height of my
screen, I could see a decent number of rows in my statement without
endless scrolling". This is about the only time when it makes sense to
use JavaScript to find the user's resolution.