[thelist] Is Target dead

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Fri Jun 18 06:45:52 CDT 2004

David Dorward wrote:

> I am not a big fan of web based applications, but in those
> circumstances the problem is easily worked around.

Me either, but it's my job:)

> If a new window really really really is the best option - use
> JavaScript. This will allow a window size to be specified, so it will
> not "replace" the existing window.

What we generally do is code it with the target attribute, so that if JS
is disabled, the user still gets a new window.

Enterprise-scale Web apps really don't work all that well on the Web, in
my opinion. A lot of the conventions in client/server apps, which most
of our clients are used to, get lost on the Web, and the clients
typically don't like it or don't understand the differences in the
technology.

Rich Internet Applications like iTunes are the future of the Web app,
not HTML-based Web forms.

But I digress:)