[thelist] Euro symbol in database (PHP/MySQL)

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 07:02:44 CDT 2004

I want to be able to have a client store reports in a database with the
euro symbol encoded. They are having all kinds of problems with the euro
symbol in particular. Although the text is "htmlentitied", it just isn't
working it's either being stored as the generic currency symbol (¤
windows alt + 0164) or some other cruft.

I've set up some pages (link to source code on them) with various page
charsets encoded. eg,
Just to see what is, or actually isn't, happening before storage.

http://www.britstream.com/delete/test_none.php
http://www.britstream.com/delete/test_iso_8859_1.php
http://www.britstream.com/delete/test_iso_8859_15.php

FYI, for those without euro signs on the keyboard, in windows ALT + 0128
will give the euro sign. (€ If the document type/character
set will display it.)

They will actually normally cut and paste from MS word documents. They
use a variety of Windows, browsers, mostly IE 5.5 & 6, with one firefox
installation. It really needs to work for everyone.

In IE, it's just not encoding the euro symbol and leaves it 'plain' -
looking at the source code in notepad after a submit you see other
characters entitled, but the euro it ignores. I've double encoded the
vars so you can see it without looking at page source.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty, Mega Products Ltd
12 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL Fax: +44(0)871 224 7891