[thelist] Favicon ???

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Tue Jun 22 10:34:21 CDT 2004

Casey Crookston wrote:
> Anybody here know anything about favicons?
>
> My client has created a web-based tool which has become popular with some of
> their clients.  My client has requested that their clients be given an
> option to "save the tool to their desktop so they can access more quickly."
>
> After some discussion, I've learned that what they really wants is for their
> clients to have a desktop icon which, when clicked, will open a browser and
> load the page with their tool. (How is this done?!?!?)  And, when that page
> is loaded, for a small favicon to appear in the URL window.
>
> I've been able to find some info:
>
> http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_if.html and www.favicon.com
>
> But if anyone has had experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm not sure if the favicon will carry over to a link on the desktop
(when I just tried it, it didn't work). But if you put the icon on the
clients' desktops for them, you could probably change the icon to
whatever you want. Regardless, here is some good info on how to create a
favicon:
http://photomatt.net/2003/11/13/how-to-create-a-favicon/

--
Sarah Sweeney