[thelist] What css browser bug needs "background: transparent"?

Elly lists at echozone.com
Sat Jun 26 11:52:01 CDT 2004

Thanks for responding, all. I'm familiar with this usability concept
from way back, and I guess this is the main reason I see this regularly
used. I was thrown off by the w3c validator not having this warning.
I've just updated a pile of style sheets!

I'm still curious about these N4 (Windows) browser bugs shown at the
Pointers Group bugs section http://www.css.nu/pointers/bugs-nn.html
that seem to give more reasons to use background: transparent, but is a
moot point if coding for the usability issue above. I still test N4
Mac, which doesn't show this.

On Jun 26, 2004, at 12:21 AM, pandy wrote:

> If you don't specify color and background-color at the same level of
> specifity, your style sheet might clash with user style sheets.

>> I've been searching for the reason why I so often see "background:
>> transparent" used when transparent is default for background-color.

Elly