[thelist] HTML Email Download Problem

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Jun 27 23:21:44 CDT 2004

What happens if you attempt to retrieve the mail manually, from a problem
machine, using telnet? That would tell you whether something outside the
local client was causing the issue.

Then, verify that the content of the email is coming across the wire fine
(either via telnet output, or using ethereal etc)

Lastly, if that all checks out, then it would appear to be something running
on the client machine (first suspicion would be any AV programs, spam
analysis programs etc)

Cheers
Ken

From: "Hershel Robinson" <hershelr at netvision.net.il>
Subject: [thelist] HTML Email Download Problem

: We have a client on our Win 2K server. He has one website on our server
with
: email service and another site on another server (a third party host) but
we
: host the mail service for that second site. (Don't ask why.)
:
: On his 'other' site, the code on the site sends out an HTML newsletter. No
: one of the several-hundred-member list has complained that there are any
: problems with the newsletter.
:
: Everyone in the client's office, however, has nothing BUT problems
: downloading the newsletter from the server. They use Outlook Express and
: Eudora Pro. I use Outlook 2000 on my machine and I have no problems
: downloading said newsletter from the server, albeit from a different
domain
: name.
:
: I asked the client to configure his Eudora to download from another server
: the same newsletter. He downloaded his personal home email from a third
: party ISP and had no problems getting the newsletter. That third party ISP
: is furthermore NOT the same ISP that provides ADSL service to his office.
: This seems to indicate that the issue indeed lies on the server and not in
: his office.
:
: The problem generally is that he gets a text-based email, instead of HTML.
: And that sometimes his client gets 'stuck' on the newsletter. Recently one
: person in his office received a partial newsletter. The part that came in,
: however, was HTML, not text.
:
: The server uses this mail server software:
: http://www.icewarp.com/Products/Merak_Email_Server_Software/
:
: Anyone have any ideas? The next debugging step I can see would be to
install
: Eudora or Outlook Express here on my machine and attempt to download from
: the server and to install Outlook 2K over there at the client's office and
: attempt to download. Or I suppose to make myself an account on the
client's
: domain and attempt to download from that account here on my machine.