[thelist] Not using tables for layout

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 28 20:24:50 CDT 2004

On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 04:03 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:

> My personal context is that I have followed many discussions on this
> list and elsewhere regarding standards/semantic markup/seperation of
> style and content etc. I fully concur that this would seem to be the
> way forward, but I simply do not see how a table can be easily
> replaced for presentational purposes for a design like this. I would
> dearly like to do so, but with time constraints being what they are I
> fear I must resort to the dreaded table.

I totally understand. You may wish to consider a compromise. Use tables
for layout, but use css for things like padding and borders rather than
nested tables or spacer images.

A good resource for designing for accessibility that isn't too
hard-core about using tables is http://diveintoaccessibility.org/ .
Also see
http://diveintoaccessibility.org/
day_10_presenting_your_main_content_first.html for how to be creative
in your table layout so that your presentation shows first in the code
before any left navigation (if you have any.)

Diane

> Many thanks!
>
> Regards
>
> Chris Marsh