[thelist] how did you learn?

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Tue Jun 29 10:51:18 CDT 2004

Took a full semester of computer science in college, learning basic
programming skills with Pascal and such. That wasn't my major, though -
I have a Geography degree.

Later, I got a job where my duties sort of evolved into programming and
web development.  Never took a class in web design or ASP/PHP
programming - I learned on the job, first by trying to understand my
co-workers' code.

Elizabeth Castro's "HTML for the World Wide Web" (Visual Quickstart
Guide from Peachpit Press) is what I started with in terms of HTML.  All
the basics, clearly and concisely explained and illustrated. I'd
recommend it as the "first book in HTML" to anyone.  Six years later,
it's still my only book on HTML itself, actually.

I'd have to mention that I'm not primarily a web designer but a web
applications developer. I do PHP/database stuff and let the more
artistic people design the layouts :-)

-Mattias