[thelist] how did you learn?

Bret Daniel BDaniel at Chemnavigator.com
Tue Jun 29 13:48:07 CDT 2004

Hi,

Actually started with an Atari 800 with 64k RAM, modem, BBS software and 2
760K drives. Oh those were the days! X,Y and the Accumulator (for you
assembly types)

Started HTML back in the day (circa 93-96, the days of the gopher) working
for a University (rather than receiving training).

Built a web site with a couple of MAC SE-30s, a 286-AT running an early
version of slackware and Apache.  Was tasked to figure out a way to have
online documents, a menu of products and services of the department
available to the University faculty and staff, and a rudimentary ecommerce
type arrangement for interdepartmental ordering, etc.

How I worked it: A book (I think there were only 2 back then <<smirk>>),
trial and error, email lists, forums, an actual project (important to have a
task), Adobe Illustrator 3, Photoshop, early PERL, C and a roll of duct tape
to keep it all together.

Life is much easier now :)

-bret