[thelist] Are Keywords Dead?

J Nicholas Tolson jtnt at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 29 14:44:25 CDT 2004

Yes, it has fallen by the wayside. A victim of search engine spamming via
the tag and other reasons I'm not smart enough to know about, I'm sure.

The point to remember is that search engines put the most weight on things
the user can see: Page title, content, link text, etc - and for obvious
reasons. Meta tags, since they are hidden from the user, can be used for
nefarious purposes. Same with commented code, the search engines just ignore
it.

According to the article below, only Inktomi still uses the meta tag in
their algorithm. And this may no longer be the case, since the article was
written in Dec 2003.

http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Search-Engine-Optimization/Search-Engine-Myths-De
bunked

Nicholas