[thelist] Local search engine for a website

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 16:52:12 CDT 2004

At 22:37 on Thursday, 01 Jul 2004, Amy Johnson wrote:

> Thanks for the recommendations.  I now know a little more about what
> this company needs.  They would like a search mechanism that would work
> on the web site containing 1000's of files and also on a CD that
> contains all the same files.  I'm thinking that none of the following
> search engines would work on a CD since they seem to mostly be web
> scripts that require Perl interpreters, databases, etc.  Am I right?

Pretty much.

You'll need to create an index of the files on the CD and have a Java
applet or javascript search tool some such read the index for searches.

You could have a different search engine doing the same job on the web
site.

here's an option:

http://www.phdcc.com/spy-cd/features.htm

or maybe this:

http://www.xtreeme.com/search-engine-studio/

there are many more, do a google for "offline search engine"

hth