[thelist] Limit Connection per IP

rich rich at f1central.net
Sat Jul 3 13:27:55 CDT 2004

> Hi
>
> I have a download site which allow user to download ZIPs, RARs...
> Sometimes I open http://www.myserver.com/server-status and see
> that there are
> alot of connections from 1 IP like this:
>
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1
> 1.2.3.4 www.myserver.com GET /data/file1.zip HTTP/1.1 .....
>
> The leecher from 1.2.3.4 just use some downloader like Flashget,
> NetAnt, etc...
> And when the server was busy, some leecher like that would kill
> my server. Now
> I want to do something but don't know how.

does your server run any server side scripting such as php/perl/asp?
dependent upon your current setup it should be fairly easy to implement
something to restrict multiple concurrent downloads from a single IP or
whatever you decide is suspicious activity... you may exclude some
legitimate downloads who are behind a proxy or NAT gateway so YMMV...

hth
rich