The need for IE-only sites? (was RE: [thelist] Identify a Web Crawler's request)

Mike evolt at muinar.com
Wed Jul 7 07:44:47 CDT 2004

At 18:35 06.07.2004 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't really understand the outlash, here. He's done what a Good Web
>Developer is supposed to do:
>
>(1) Analyze his or her site's audience.
>(2) Develop predictions of loss due to lack of support for certain browsers.
>(3) Determine whether these losses are acceptable or whether it is
>worth it to work to support these other browsers.

Hi Matt

You underweight the losses to our businesses that may occur if a single
platform takes over the web and dictates its conditions. I didn't say
that in the special case of the original posting it's not a feasible way
to focus on IE6 users. But webdesigners that do it all the time poison
the well we're all drinking from. It's good to remember that from time
to time   ;)

Mike

_____  mike s. krischker  http://webdesign-schweiz.ch/