The need for IE-only sites? (was RE: [thelist] Identify a Web Crawler's request)

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 08:49:46 CDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:25:21 +0100, chris at martiantechnologies.com
<chris at martiantechnologies.com> wrote:
> [..]
> I feel that the main issue at hand has nothing to do with proprietary browser technologies and has everything to do with application design. If this is a commercial enterprise, the excuse for client-side programming being that he wants to take the load off the server is unjustified. A baker wouldn't serve up eggs, sugar and flour and ask the customer to mix them up and bake them with the excuse that he didn't want to employ another baker. If your server can't handle the demands of a web application, then factor in the costs of another server and re-evaluate whether your enterprise has any business merit. If not, then perhaps take another route or keep it as a hobby.

I find this somewhat naive. You are finding fault in him approximating
a network architecture that is more appropriate for the application?
Would you find the same fault in someone who has decided to use a
dual-processor server instead of a server with one "really beefy"
processor (you might consider the analogy invalid, but parallel
processing is very similar to what we're talking about here)?

I would suspect not.

In fact, there are many applications on the Web which have
more-than-normal processing on the client in the forms of java
applets, activex controls, and even javascript.

--

Matt Warden
Berry Neuroscience Lab