[thelist] Mozilla and Hebrew (WAS Identify a Web Crawler's request)

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Jul 7 09:37:34 CDT 2004

> I know that thousands of people can use Mozilla with i18n and bi-di
> charsets, myself included. http://mozilla.org.il/, looks ok
> to me. But
> sadly I only understand the latin fragments (and sometimes not even
> that) - but ask around, it does work...

The Hebrew there looks fine to me. OK, the font happens to be a bit ugly,
but it is certainly anyhow entirely readable.

Regarding this IE-only issue, can I ask a potentially irksome question: Do
others not estimate that non-IE users fall into certain socio-economic
categories?

What I mean is that my uneducated guess is that the average
businessman/executive in the USA uses IE because he uses Windows and it's
already there. He's not interested in standards and he relies on his tech
guy to deal with security--why would he invest his time installing some
other browser?

The Lynx and Firefox users I would guess tend to be the same kinds of people
who might be interested in reading Slashdot.com--and those readers are
potentially of a certain group--I mean the site does call itself "News for
NERDS", doesn't it?

Note, I am on our side--I am all in favor of standards and cross-browser
coding. I am just asking what people think.

Hershel