[thelist] SEO and dynamic URL's

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Jul 7 16:09:04 CDT 2004

Bah humbug.  The above statement is very misleading.  The fact that the URL
has a ? in it does not mean that the page is dynamic or even that the URL is
dynamic.  The reverese is also false... just because a page doesn't have a ?
in it doesn't mean that it's not dynamic.

Furthermore, using PHP or another scripting language to build dynamic pages
has no effect on search engines.  Always keep this in mind... search engines
look at the resulting page that is sent to the browser only... they don't
care about how the page was created.  Sometimes they use a ? in the URL as a
hint that the page is dynamic (iow, it may change at a moments notice), but
that is not really a good indication.

Using mod_rewrite (or equivalent) you can create pages that accept variables
through the URL that don't have any ?'s.  Search engines will be none the
wiser which engine is used to generate the pages as they will think they are
all static.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.