[thelist] Re: Identify a Web Crawler's request

Michael Harrington mike0351 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 7 17:40:30 CDT 2004

David,

I was thinking of preventing the Web crawlers from crawling your "upgrade-your-browser page" and stopping there. I had the same problem until I put
the <meta NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> on my "upgrade-your-browser page". This page would get indexed and the crawlers would stop at it
but not now. You do not need to identify every Web crawler out there with this tag.

If I understood your question correctly, your problem is with the Web crawlers and your "upgrade-your-browser page" stopping the crawling the rest of
your site. Is this why you asked "How do I identify a request from a web-crawler?"

(David wrote: "This redirection also causes requests from web-crawlers (search engines) to be redirected to this page.")

Michael