[thelist] Re: The need for IE-only sites?

RUST Randal RRust at COVANSYS.com
Thu Jul 8 08:54:34 CDT 2004

> Diane Soini wrote:

> >C'mon guys. Let's get really truly honest about this. Does it really
> >matter? I mean REALLY? Do web standards actually, really
> truly matter?

to the person that visits a web site, they rarely matter. to the person
that builds the web site, they should matter.

paint a comparison.

do you know anything about the engine in your car, other than it sounds
like it's working properly? most likely no. but the engineer that
designed it certainly designed it according to a fixed set of industry
and internal standards.

building to standards makes your work easier to manage down the road. it
allows you to create a code base that can be extended as technology
improves. the standards movement is meant to apply to sites that we are
building /moving forward./ we can't go back and re-do all of our
previous work. that would be inefficient and costly. we learn as we go,
we make improvements. we don't always go back and fix our old products.

you don't see ford churning out a 2004 version of the model-t for the
very same reasons.

the reality is, the only thing that the end-user cares about is that the
product meets his or her needs. other than that, they don't care at all
/how/ it is built.

all too often we get caught up in these little holy wars amongst
ourselves and lose sight of the big picture:)