[thelist] RE: The need for IE-only sites?

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 12:59:24 CDT 2004

--- Diane Soini <dianesoini at earthlink.net> wrote:
> OK. I'm really gonna send this.

Paraphrasing Ghandi:

In the grand scheme of things, anything you do is insignificant. Yet,
you still have to do it.

On a more serious note:

Following standards allowed me to jump in to a horrible project as a
temp and fix it so fast that management's head is still spinning. I
left crap font littered tag soup code there, and rebuilt same exact
site in valid xhtml1.1. In three days. Then, management tried it, and
from a 3.5 seconds load time it went down to 0.23 seconds. Also, the
page went down  from 1.6 megs (don't ask) to about 80k.

A lot of the delay was in render time of the table within table
within tables. I got rid of all that and have one table with tabular
data in it.

Of course, I'm now full time, and a lot of the other programmers are
gone.

So, don't do it because you have to, do it because it's better. And
because better is a competitive edge when things move from "Just make
it work" to "Now make it work fast".

=====
Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell