[thelist] Multi level Password Protection Help!

Audrey Blumeneau blumeneau at aboutaudrey.com
Thu Jul 8 14:41:43 CDT 2004

Greetings all:

I have a situation that is new to me and am in need of help ASAP!

I have a client who wants a password protected site. However, what he wants
is far more complex (of course). He has four levels of files - partners,
committed investors, potential investors and potential buyers. He wants all
of these to be password protected. He wants it set so that if "Bob and
Jane" call him up and want to be potential investors, he can give them a
user ID and password that will give them access to certain files. If they
like what they see and become committed investors, he wants me to make it
so that their password now allows them to view files that were previously
not privy to them. It would be seamless to Bob and Jane.

In addition he wants to be able to have a log out and be able to time-out
of the session.....AND he wants to track each person on where they go on
the site and how long they stayed there...this is all part of some
marketing thing and is limited to selected people (this site will not be
open to the search engines....).

I have never set anything up like this before and at the time was happy to
expand my knowledge. However, time is running short and I need something
quick and easy. Can someone either show/tell or point me to a site/program
that I can use to set something like this up?
(the idea is that I would be maintaining it in the long run...)

I am not sure who is going to host this web site....any suggestions would
also be appreciated in this regard!

I appreciate any help and or advice you can give me.

Oh, and he wants this all yesterday!!! Well....he would like this up and
running ASAP. I sure do hope there is someone out there who can help!!! (do
I sound desperate!!!)

Cheers,
Audrey