[thelist] SEO and dynamic URL's

Michael Dinowitz mdinowit at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 09:30:23 CDT 2004

> Just a quick question: have you tried this in CFMX? We have, and found
> that unless the last part of the 'clean' URL ended in .cfm, JRun would
> not know that it was parsing a ColdFusion template. Basically this meant
> that we could not use the path_info cgi variable *at all* in CFMX, and
> had to go back to using Apache mod_rewrite for search engine- (and
> user-) friendly URLs.
It was specifically designed for CFMX and will work on any extension
that is both mapped through the webserver and is parsed by JRun. Yes,
this means that a .asp page will not be parsed by this nor will a
.htm/.html. That's one advantage over a rewriter; it only does the job
on what you want it to do and saves in processing. That's also the
disadvantage as you have to have a different solution if you run a
mixed site. As most of the people I wrote this for do not use .asp and
.cfm on the same machine, it's not a problem.

> > I believe that doing it within the webserver would basically
> > mean that the url that's being called is captured and redirected
> > rather than being gone to directly.
>
> I don't know about isapi_rewrite, but in mod_rewrite it can be an
> 'opaque' redirect: i.e. the URL is rewritten (say from /articles/1/3/5
> to /articles/index.cfm?volume=1&issue=3&article=5) *without* the user
> being any the wiser. This is achieved using the Pass Through ([PT])
> directive.
>
> > You have no idea what's being passed, why, where, what it means, etc.
>
> Yes you do, because you set it up.
Honestly, most programmers have so much code that they forget what is
where on occasion. :)
> > What happens when your looking for a file 3 directories down
> > rather than 2.
>
> I don't follow. We're layering SE-safe URLs on top (mostly) of Fusebox
> apps, so we never open individual files directly. They're always
> included by the app.
Actually, that question was answered in the portion that talks about
an external file that defines how an url should be rewritten.

> > How does the url rewriter know where the url stops and
> > the variables begin.
>
> Because you tell it!
>
> > But bottom line is that if both work and both work well, the decision
> > to use one over another is one of style.
>
> The issue for us is that only mod_rewrite works, because CFMX is borked!
Havn't seen that, but if that's your experience....

--
Michael Dinowitz
http://www.houseoffusion.com