[thelist] SEO and dynamic URL's

sbeam sbeam at syxyz.net
Fri Jul 9 11:11:38 CDT 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 11:31 am, Joshua Olson wrote:
> You also asked about slashes in one of the values... well, I'd hope
> that it'd be escaped using URL encoding.  Otherwise, all bets are
> off! Generally, I use this technique when passing around a controlled
> set of tokens only, like numeric id's, or words that are specifically
> designed to be URL safe.  If I need to pass around unsafe values, I'd
> opt to make it a normal URL parameter in the querystring.  For most
> pages you want indexed, I think this would be a moot point, though.

true, it is usually moot. I've used a mod_rewrite rule like you mention
- was just trying to come up with an all-purpose function that would
work for any name/value pairs between the slashes... I think you are
right, it would be better to use good ol' ?...&...& in cases where
there might be an unsafe token - usually from user input which wouldn't
be indexed anyway.

thanks!

--

# S Beam - Web App Dev Servs