[thelist] fonts - ok not to define them?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 10 17:08:29 CDT 2004

A friend of mine said that the text on my web site is not clear and is
difficult to read. I immediately thought maybe he has a Mac and it's
the font smoothing, but no, he doesn't use a Mac. I didn't define a
font-family (but I did scale down the size a bit) for the site and I do
not use any images as text. He said the contrast is ok, but the text is
too jagged to read.

What's the default Windows IE font? Is it jagged at certain resolutions
or sizes? Is it considered poor form to not define a font? Especially
since most people probably do not know they can choose a default font?
Should I always define a font for Windows users and let other browsers
retain the default font? I rather like sites that don't define the
font, and I can usually recognize them right away since I chose an
unusual default font.

Diane