[thelist] limiting bandwidth

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 03:22:56 CDT 2004

I really think you need to provide more details.

I wouldn't say that "you're in deep trouble" if you're running a
Windows network: Windows has BITS which can be utilised by client
applications (which is how WindowsUpdate works). There are also other
technologies like QoS (again, there is a QoS client built into most
Windows desktops from about Windows 98 IIRC). These are just some
possibilities, but what you'd need to use really depends on what you
want to do.

I think you need to define where you're trying to restrict the
bandwidth (client, or server, or the network as a whole), and how
you're trying to do the restricting (by user account? by machine? by
type of traffic?)

Cheers
Ken