[thelist] IIS Caching

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 03:19:19 CDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:52:03 +0100, chris at martiantechnologies.com
<chris at martiantechnologies.com> wrote:
> Ken
>
> > There are a number of possible problems here.
> >
> > For a non-NLB situation, you are probably seeing an in-memory copy
> > being cached. IIS relies on Windows for file-change notification
> > notices, which in turn triggers a cache flush. There are a number of
> > hotfixes available for Windows 2000/IIS 5.0 that address various
> > file-change notification issues.
> >
> > For an NLB situation, where a reboot has failed to clear the in-memory
> > cache, we're looking at a whole different kettle of fish.
>
> It would appear that I was in error regarding the reboot -
> I thought we rebooted the boxes, but actually we just
> restarted IIS. When the problem occurred yesterday a
> reboot fixed things just fine. By the back end of
> yesterday I had come to the conclusion that
> it was the Script File Cache not being flushed
> properly, but did  not have time to investigate
> a solution.

Even restarting IIS will flush all it's caches (assuming you used
IISReset, or otherwise restarted the IISAdmin service, as this would
also restart the dependant services - in particular the World Wide Web
Publishing Service). Once the inetinfo.exe process has been unloaded,
you shouldn't be seeing any cached data (except see below)

> > I can try an escalate this issue, if I can get more details from you.
> > I will try to get a list of information that I'll need, and then get
> > in touch.
>
> I appreciate the offer, but the first thing I'll do is to see
> which hotfixes have been installed on the boxes, and
> take things from there. Hopefully it will be an
> easily-fixable file-change notification issue.

If you are using some kind of NAS device for storing the files (or
otherwise storing the files on a share remote to the actual NLB
webservers), then there are a few hotfixes available. This is one case
where restarting IIS may not result in the new data being served. If,
for some reason, Windows itself doesn't think that the files on the
remote share have changed, then IIS might still, somehow, be getting a
stale copy of the file. Make sure you are at SP4 first, since that
itself fixes a few issues.

HTH

Cheers
Ken