[thelist] How to do user.domain.com

PeterV peter at poorbuthappy.com
Tue Jul 13 13:19:15 CDT 2004

I am working on a service where users can create accounts and get
http;//username.domain.com/

I am trying this approach: in httpd.conf, I have
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    DocumentRoot "C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My
Documents/websites/live  websites/domain.com/dev/account_htdocs"
    ServerName *.domain.com
    ServerAlias *.domain.com
</VirtualHost>

This means that peter.domain.com goes to the right page. For some
reason, without the ServerAlias it doesn't work...

What I'd like is to send peter.domain.com to
..../domain.com/dev/account_htdocs/peter/ Can that be done?

An additional question: to make this work on my local WinXP test
machine, I have to enter peter.domain.com in myhosts file - *.domain.com
doesn't work. Is there a way to do "*.domain.com" in a hosts file?

Thanks for any help!
Peter