[thelist] limiting bandwidth

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:50:12 CDT 2004

So, it's your internet connection that's being saturated rather than
your internel network? If so, a proxy server is probably what you are
looking for.

The client machine isn't natively aware of the bandwidth of your
internet connection - all it can see is the type of network it's
directly connected to (ie your ethernet LAN or whatever you're using).
And the ethernet network probably never looks saturated, so I'm not
sure how any software running on the client would be able to determine
at what point it should start restraining itself.

Cheers
Ken