[thelist] Recommendations for Intranet Applications

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:03:45 CDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:37:35 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Mahan
<chris_mahan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Burhan Khalid <thelist at meidomus.com> wrote:
>
> >    So does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm really lost as to
> > where to
> > look next.
>
> What skills does your team possess?
>
> ASP, Perl, PHP, Python?
> MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, DB2, etc?
> (don't use MS Access. you could, but don't. trust me.)
>
> unix/linux or Windows?
>

> =====
> Chris Mahan

I agree with Chris - what is your existing infrastructure, and what
are your current skills base?

For MS platforms, I would probably recommend: Sharepoint
www.microsoft.com/sharepoint - you can get the Windows Sharepoint
Services (WSS) version for free if you are running Windows 2003 Server
-or- Digital Dashboards (but, again, this depends on what your backend
is running, and what you are able to code).

Since you already appear to have a number of existing systems, I would
not start coding something from scratch - better to get/buy a
framework of some kind that you can program against.

Cheers
Ken