[thelist] RE: How does "Box-in-a-box" hack work?

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jul 15 17:47:58 CDT 2004

---------------------------------------
I said:
> I guess the thing that led the W3C folks "astray" on the box model is the
> centrality of content - the correct box model uses content as its point of
> reference, not the box into which said content is being
> presented.  My .02.

Joshua Said:
Do
consider that the only reason for boxes is for layout and presentation.  If
the point of the web was only content, then you wouldn't be able to style
boxes... and dare I say everything would be plain-jane XML.

In other words, content really has nothing to do with "boxes".  So, the only
remaining reason to have boxes is to provide layout for the given content.
Given that, modeling the boxes after the content within them doesn't make as
much sense.  Indeed, it would make more sense to model boxes after their
relationship with other boxes!
---------------------------------------

Agreed!  I wasn't attempting to defend the "correct" model, only trying to
rationalize it a bit.  Of course, there are those who _would_ like the web
to be nothing but plain-jane XML!

<tip type="Dreamweaver Exports" author="Maximillian Schwanekamp">
Moving your Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004 dev environment can be a pain, as can
restoring your DW site defs in case of catastophe.

Use MM Exporter to batch-export/backup all your DW (and Contribute 1 & 2)
sites.  An essential tool for anyone using Dreamweaver:
http://mm-exporter.joexx.de/

</tip>

Maximillian Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites for Microbusiness