[thelist] Java/J2EE help - java not working on desktop

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Jul 21 15:51:57 CDT 2004

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

>>setting or if you can start java application (usually will be an exe or
>>bat file that has the line of code that is needed to start the java
>>piece) and run that from the command promopt.

> Thanks for the ideas, I'll poke around. If you find out anymore please post!

If there *is* a .bat file being used to launch the application, you
can examine each line of it to see the environment variables it's
looking for and/or setting, possible hard-coded file system paths,
and so on. Frequently there's an "aha!" hidden in there :-)

That won't work if there's only a .exe, of course. In that case,
try to find the app's primary jar file. You may be able to start it
from the command line as `java -jar appname.jar` in which case you
can watch that window for startup error messages...

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.