[thelist] flash embedding the no plugin check

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 18:12:54 CDT 2004

On 21/7/04 4:07 pm, "Dan McCullough" <dmccullough at garnethill.com> wrote:

> I have a small flash movie that I am incorporating on to the front page.
> Its inside a table cell.  I need the flash to check and see if there is
> a plugin and if not then to display a static image.  Is that possible
> outside of the flash movie or do I have to do it within the flash movie?

First check out http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

A brilliant article on using Flash in your page.

One of the simplest way to check for Flash is with a Flash sniffer. Put a
http redirect in the head to a non-Flash page and create an 18 x 18 pixel
Flash movie that directs the visitor to the Flash page. If Flash is not
enabled, the visitor will just be directed to the non-Flash page.

If you use the Flash Satay method you can put your none Flash content inside
the Object element.

Even if the browser is Flash enabled you should still be polite and allow
the visitor to view non-Flash content.

--
Chris Price