[thelist] Making Searches Dummy-proof

Seth Thomas Rasmussen seth at sethrasmussen.com
Thu Jul 22 15:01:10 CDT 2004

We've got a client where I work that has an inventory of the parts they
carry sitting in a searchable database. To account for mistakes in
hand-written notes and such they would like to have " ","-","/", and "\"
ignored completely with regard to the search criteria but also what's
actually in the database record. So basically, they want everything to be
considered one long string of characters.

Am I a naive noob, or is this slightly ridiculous? Doesn't it sort of
diminish the relevance of the search results, not to mention taking
"user-friendly" way over the line?