[thelist] Template Monster or Do you want cheeze with your whine?

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Sat Jul 24 12:21:12 CDT 2004

Ken Moore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yes, I am in training for the whole 15 rounds.

Just hope that no one bites your ear off :)

> A very, very long time ago (say 1968-1975) there was a great controversy
> about whether teachers should allow students to use calculators during
> tests. "If we do that," they said, "students will not learn what
> addition and multiplication is." OK. Fair enough. Now, it is common
> practice to take them to class. Some take advantage of them and do not
> learn what they need to know. And those are the ones that have ended up
> with the low-paying jobs.

Wait a minute, this is chalk and cheese when it comes to the template issue.

When was the last time you looked at the insides of an HTML rendering
engine?  If all you do is type in <___> and the result happens when you
hit Reload, aren't you just a calculator user in the world of web
development?  Just because some people chose to learn the keystokes
instead of the calculations, doesn't mean the theory was lost.

> Yes, exactly right. But again, the market decides. So, we have two
> choices. One is that we can learn what the market wants, become very
> good at it and make a good living.

Here, I agree.  I am more than willing to have a client go to a cheaper
alternative if it is out of my price range.  If the product I provide is
of a better quality, then I have no problems charging accordingly.

> Or, we can all go buy a calculator.
Calc.exe is bundled with most versions of Windows, it is possible that
you have simply not received training on how to use it.  If this is the
case, I am more than willing to offer training.  Email me for a quote ;)

--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au