[thelist] RE: thelist Digest, Vol 17, Issue 51

Jim Davies jimdav at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 25 14:46:38 CDT 2004

I missed a lot of this thread but the long item that Ken responded to is
absolutety fantastic.  I'm talking about the two economists part especially
and particularly item C

I hope Kath read it too.

Wow, I'm going ot have to go to the archives
Jim Davies
jimdav at mindspring.com
jim at EagleWebWorx.com

The Web is a procrastination apparatus. It can absorb as much time
as is required to ensure you won't get any work done. -- J. Nielsen

> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:29:30 +1000
> From: "Ken Schaefer" <ken at adOpenStatic.com>
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] RE: Template Monster [WAS: A Beginner Freelance
> 	Question]
> Message: 1
>

> There were two economists - Adam Smith (division of labour), and David
> Ricardo (comparative advantage) that wrote some stuff about what happens
> over time. What they wrote about all that time ago is still relevant
today:

> c) Despite the exodus of jobs to cheaper overseas countries, there is
*not*
> going to be a huge job shortage in the developed world. Jobs have been
> moving from high-cost centres to low-cost centres for hundreds of years
> (between towns, between states, and between countries). Yet the
unemployment
> rate in the developed world is still very low. New, higher paying, jobs
have
> replaced the old jobs. Our standard of living (as conventionally measured
-
> quality of life, the environment are a whole different kettle of fish -
I'm