[thelist] RE: Does web design have a future in 'high wage'countries? (wasQuestion])

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Mon Jul 26 09:22:18 CDT 2004

At 22:41 23/07/2004, YoYoEtc wrote:

>What I would like to know is how do these foreigners get these skills in
>the first place.  They are poor countries with many non-schooled people.
>Don't tell me - H1B visas to work in this country, get their tuition paid
>here, and go back to their own country and drain us dry!

   I think you may be exaggerating somewhat. Firstly, I know at least one
guy in India, for instance - and several other people on this list know him
too - who most definitely did not learn his skills in the US, and is a good
developer. He's the only Indian I know, so that's purely anecdotal.

   Second, the US is far from the only country to which people from poorer
countries can go to learn high-tech skills. They can go to Australia,
Europe, Canada, Japan, and so on.

   Thirdly, you'll find that an awful lot of them are trained in their own
countries.

   Finally, this list has subscribers from all over the world, and it's a
little provincial to write "this country" and "drain us dry", as though
everyone reading your words were also in the US.

   Tip follows, just in case.

   Drew.

    <tip author="Drew Shiel" type="Flowcharts on Paper">
    If you're working out the flow of data through a script, loops in
programming, or the like, and you're inclined to draw out flowcharts in
on-screen applications, remember that you can usually draw far faster on
paper, scribble out lines, and generally refine your thinking much better,
before you get as far as the screen.
    </tip>