[thelist] Taking control of a client's computer

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Mon Jul 26 09:30:33 CDT 2004

raditha dissanayake wrote:
> There are several terminal services, VNC, PCAnywhere come to
> mind.

I use pcAnywhere for this sort of thing, which you can get
ridiculously cheap (legal?) on eBay. It works quite well both for ftp
type functionality and for remote control. The latest version also has
more support for "remote management" of Win2k/XP services.

> However if you clients are not capable of configuring outlook
> they have
> no business setting up a software of this nature.

Sadly true. Most clients won't be able to install and configure PCA on
their own. I spent an hour by phone with one and she couldn't get it
going.

XP Pro has remote management, or something similarly called, built in.
Check the online help for that.

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s