[thelist] Please trim, please don't top post.

Richard Davey rich at launchcode.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 09:40:13 CDT 2004

Hello Ken,

Monday, July 26, 2004, 2:49:18 PM, you wrote:

KS> : 1) http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

KS> Maybe I'm missing things, but I don't see anything in this RFC about
KS> top -vs- bottom posting. Can you point me to the relevant section?

That would be this part (3.1.1):

    - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
      sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
      helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

The sooner people stop top-posting, the better.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde