[thelist] Question about W3C Accessibility Priority 2 guideline

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Mon Jul 26 10:29:06 CDT 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 3:46 PM, Johnson, Christopher (MTO) wrote:

> I am readying over the W3C's checklist for accessibility and came
> across the
> following statement:
>
> "5.4 If a table is used for layout, do not use any structual markup
> for the
> purpose of visual formatting"

An example:  many web coders use < blockquote> to indent text, even
when the text in question is not a block quotation.  They are using an
non-applicable semantic tag to achieve a purely visual result, in
opposition to the W3C rule.  They should probably use a CSS margin or
padding instead.

Not sure why the "if" clause is in that rule, as this is really a
better (and simpler) way to think of it:
"Do not use any structual markup for the purpose of visual formatting."

Regards,
Steve